Roast your own beets at home with less fuss by using your slow cooker – no need to turn on your oven!
This method takes very little effort and delivers the same flavor as oven roasted beets. It creates beautifully tender beets – perfect for adding to salads!
I picked up a few bunches of beets from the Farmers Market yesterday, and while I knew what I wanted to do with the greens, I wasn’t 100% sure what I wanted to do with the actual beets.
I knew I wanted to roast at least some of them, but the thought of heating up the oven for an hour or more really didn’t sound too appealing in the midst of this summer heat.
Then I had an idea – what if I prepared them the same way as I would to roast them in the oven, but just put them in the slow cooker for a few hours on high instead?
I recently tried wrapping salmon in foil and cooking it in the slow cooker, and it was fantastic, so why not give this a shot?
I checked them after 3 hours and they were almost tender enough, so I let them go another hour and they were absolutely perfect. They tasted just like oven roasted beets! Nice and sweet and earthy, and since I cooked them in foil, my slow cooker was clean when they were finished!
They turned out great, and I think this may be my new go-to method! Success!!
- Green and Red Salad with Goat Cheese and Raw Almonds
- Roasted Beets with Goat Cheese and Dill
- Cheesy Potato Skins with Smoky-BBQ Shredded Beets
- Pax Romana’s Quinoa Salad with Mixed Vegetable, Goat Cheese & Orange Dressing
- Straight Outta Comté Leftover Salad
- Ruby Radiance Juice
- Massaged Kale Salad with Herbed Goat Cheese Croquettes & Fresh Blueberry Vinaigrette
- Spicy Sautéed Beet Greens with Garlic Chips
- Fresh Beet, Apple, Carrot, Orange Cucumber Juice
- Raw Kohlrabi and Beet Slaw
- Roasted Beets with Goat Cheese and Aged Balsamic
Roast your own beets at home with less fuss by using your slow cooker – no need to turn on your oven! This method takes very little effort and delivers the same flavor as oven roasted beets. It creates beautifully tender beets – perfect for adding to salads!
- Tear pieces of foil large enough to completely enclose each beet. Lay one piece of foil underneath each beet and drizzle each with a little bit of oil, sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and a few grinds of black pepper.
- Wrap each beet tightly in foil. You can double wrap them if they don’t completely close, this way they will cook properly and won’t make a mess in your slow cooker.
- Place beets inside your slow cooker, cover and cook on high for 3-5 hours, or until tender. Remove from foil packets and slide the skin off, if desired (I didn’t).
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 302
- Sugar: 27.7 g
- Sodium: 320.3 mg
- Fat: 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 40.7 g
- Fiber: 12.1 g
- Protein: 6.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: roasted beets, slow cooker, how to cook beets