My husband brought a loaf of Challah home from NYC before one of the recent predicted snowstorms so he could make French toast for breakfast. It's been a tradition for the last few years, and one that I'm totally on board with.
Later that evening, I decided that I needed a Nutella fix.
And I needed it now.
This warm, decadent dessert sandwich combines Nutella and sliced banana between big, fluffy pieces of Challah. The butter caramelizes a bit to make this really beautiful crust that offsets all of the ooey gooey filling. It would be a great way to end your Valentine's Day dinner!
It was outstanding.
It was messy.
It was a very bad, very good thing.Print
This warm, decadent dessert sandwich combines Nutella and sliced banana between big, fluffy pieces of Challah. The butter caramelizes a bit to make this really beautiful crust that offsets all of the ooey gooey filling.
- 4 thick cut slices of Challah bread
- 1 banana, halved and sliced lengthwise
- Unsalted butter, softened (or use spreadable butter substitute)
- Powdered sugar, for garnish (optional)
- Special equipment: panini press
- Preheat your panini press. Slather one side of each slice of Challah with a layer of Nutella. Don't be shy.
- Lay banana slices along 2 of the Nutella-covered slices of Challah, and flip the other slices, Nutella-side down, onto the bananas.
- Spread a thin layer of butter on the outsides of the 4 pieces of Challah and place sandwiches on the preheated panini press. Lower the top of the press and cook for 2-4 minutes, or until the bread is nicely caramelized and the filling is warm.
- Remove panini, slice in half, dust with powdered sugar and dive in!
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 533
- Sugar: 29.6 g
- Sodium: 320.4 mg
- Fat: 22.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 74.7 g
- Fiber: 4.4 g
- Protein: 10.3 g
- Cholesterol: 61.1 mg
Keywords: nutella sandwich, bananas, challah, dessert panini