23 Ways to Use Canned Beans
This post may contain affiliate links, which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Make the most of the canned beans in your pantry with this list of 23 of our favorite recipes using canned chickpeas, white beans, black beans, and more!
This post may contain affiliate links.
I’ve been working on cooking from my freezer and pantry a lot more often over the last few months. It’s been so rewarding to make some progress on clearing out space in my kitchen.
It also feels good to be using up things that may potentially go to waste otherwise.
C’mon… we’ve all been in that position where you’re digging around for a can of beans or broth or something and came across something that expired yeeeears ago.
But no more! I’ve been making a concerted effort to reduce food waste, as well as just waste in general. (Psst: check out my post on 30 Tips for Reducing Kitchen Waste for more on that front!)
In light of the current worldwide health news, I know that many of you will be looking for ways to use items that you have hanging around in your pantry. And what pantry doesn’t have an assortment of canned beans?
My hope with this roundup of canned bean recipes is that you can find some inspiration for ways to keep your meals interesting over the next few weeks. Canned food doesn’t have to be boring! You can mix canned and fresh items to make some really delicious meals.
Aside from recipes, I love using canned beans to round out a meal or make a quick salad to go with whatever we’re eating. I’ll often crack open a can of beans (white beans and chickpeas are 2 of my go-to’s for this), rinse and drain them, and toss them with whatever fresh veggies and herbs I have on hand. Drizzle on some olive oil and vinegar, season with salt and pepper, and you have a great, protein-packed addition to your meal.
Or just toss that together and serve over lettuce for a fantastic salad. It really is that simple!
And if you’re looking for more pantry-stocking inspiration, check out my Pantry Favorites list over on Amazon.
Without further ado, here are 23 of our favorite recipes using canned beans. If you have favorite ways to use canned beans that aren’t on this list, please leave a comment below!
23 Ways to Use Canned Beans
- 3 Bean Salad: Green beans, wax beans, and kidney beans mixed in a sweet-and-tangy vinaigrette. Reminds me of the salad bar at a Brazilian BBQ restaurant!
- Avocado Mango Lime Chickpea Salad: Channel warmer weather with this super simple, bright, tropical salad.
- Buffalo Chickpea Dip: Two of the most in-demand game day snacks have to be Buffalo wings and hummus. But why pick between spicy and smooth when you can have the best of both worlds?
- Creamy Cucumber, Avocado, Chickpea, & Sun-Dried Tomato Salad: Make the most of ripe avocados with this super simple, quick, protein-packed salad.
- Cucumber & Cannellini Bean Salad with Dill: Mix together 6 ingredients in just minutes with this easy no-cook bean salad recipe. Perfect for summer evenings when you don’t want to heat up the kitchen!
- Falafel-Spiced Chickpea Flatbreads: Naan is covered in garlicky tzatziki sauce, Middle Eastern-spiced chickpeas, tahini, fresh herbs and Sriracha in this street food/comfort food mashup. (One of the most popular recipes on Big Flavors!)
- Falafel-Spiced Chickpea Salad with Tahini-Lemon Vinaigrette: This quick, simple Middle Eastern salad + homemade pita chips brings all the flavor of falafel in a fraction of the time – no deep frying required!
- Falafel-Spiced Cucumber Bites: These cucumber bites are a healthy party appetizer recipe with major Middle Eastern flair! They’re quick & easy to assemble and make a great addition to any dinner or cocktail party. These would also be perfect for game day appetizer spreads!
- Falafel with Yogurt-Herb Sauce: Canned chickpeas are blended with spices to make crispy fritters that are stuffed into pita bread and slathered with tahini and an herb-studded yogurt sauce.
- Fire Roasted Tomato and Black Bean Shrimp with Lime-Scented Quinoa: A mix of canned beans and tomatoes bulks up this quick seafood dish.
- Italian-Style Veggie Polpette: Farm fresh veggies and herbs are blended with 2 types of beans to form this delicious, meat-free spin on meatballs. Perfect for Meatless Monday!
- Latin Chicken Skillet with Black Beans + Tomatoes: You’re less than 30 minutes away from serving up a delicious, homemade chicken dinner with Latin flair! And with just a handful of ingredients and a single skillet, this Latin skillet is a perfect meal for busy weeknights.
- Mango, Jicama + Black Bean Salsa: Juicy, ripe mango and fresh lime brighten the flavors of this sweet-and-salty black bean salsa. Perfect for Cinco de Mayo, potlucks and summer BBQs!
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad with Lemon-Herb Vinaigrette: This quick & easy Greek-inspired chickpea salad is packed with fresh veggies and a lemony herb-studded flax vinaigrette for a delicious Omega-3 boost!
- Polo Shevid Baghali (Persian Dill + Lima Bean Rice): Potatoes are fried in a buttery saffron mixture that help form a beautifully golden crust when this fragrant rice dish is turned out onto a platter.
- Pork Scallopini with White Bean-Tomato Salad: Need a quick weeknight dinner? Thin cut pork is coated in panko and fried till crispy, then topped with a vibrant salad that comes together in under 20 minutes! A perfect use for canned white beans!
- Quick Chickpea Salad with Lemon-Dill Vinaigrette: This quick, hearty make-ahead salad is perfect for lunch on-the-go or as a fresh, flavorful last minute addition to any meal.
- Roasted Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos with Cilantro Chimichurri: Take taco night to the next level with taco-spiced, roasted sweet potatoes, and black beans. These vegan-friendly tacos are topped with a bright cilantro chimichurri and quick-pickled red onions. Perfect for Meatless Monday, Taco Tuesday, or any other day of the week!
- Roma Salad with Caper-Dill Vinaigrette: Chickpeas, corn, black beans, feta cheese, + sun-dried tomatoes turn salad greens into a deliciously filling meal. Top it with a tangy homemade vinaigrette!
- Spiced Chickpea Tacos with Cilantro-Peach Relish: A sweet and tangy peach relish is the perfect topping for these taco-spiced, vegan chickpea tacos.
- Spicy Turkey Three-Bean Chili: The best bowl of spicy turkey chili is easy to make at home! Includes tips for making it milder, freezing, and topping ideas. Perfect comfort food that’s healthier than traditional recipes.
- Tofu & Black Bean Taco Boats with Jicama Mango Salsa: Spice things up on taco night with these fruit salsa-topped tofu and black bean tacos.
- Tuna and Orzo Lettuce Wraps with Parsley-Caper Vinaigrette: Flaky tuna is tossed with orzo, chickpeas, sun-dried tomatoes and shallots and dressed in a tangy parsley-caper vinaigrette.
Doing some online shopping? Check out my Amazon Shop page for recommendations!