Over at The Domestic Mixologist, we have been gearing up for the new season of Game of Thrones for quite some time. We had perfected this recipe a few weeks ago in anticipation for the premiere, so we whipped up another batch to enjoy in front of the TV. This stuff is deeply comforting, and it can be enjoyed warm or at room temperature. Now if someone can just supply us with a few drinking horns, we would be all set! 😉Print
This Game of Thrones-inspired mulled wine is deeply comforting and can be enjoyed warm or at room temperature.
- 1 750 mL bottle medium-bodied red wine such as Merlot or Shiraz
- 2–3 tablespoons local wildflower honey
- 3 whole black peppercorns
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 whole green cardamom pod
- 4 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cassia cinnamon chunks (can substitute 1 cinnamon stick)
- 1 tablespoon blood orange bitters
- 1/4 cup brandy
- orange slices, for garnish
- Combine all ingredients (through brandy) in a large saucepan. Slowly bring to a gentle boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Ladle into a mug or drinking horn. Garnish with orange slices.
Serves your house with honor.
Keywords: mulled wine, game of thrones