This is part 2 of a feature on my delicious experience with Chef Marcel Vigneron and the Stonefire Food Truck Tour in NYC. You can find part 1 here.
I got to try this delicious appetizer recipe with Chef Marcel last month, and it was super tasty. I was really excited to bring the recipe back home to try it out in my tiny kitchen!
First of all, let’s talk about these naan crisps. I’ve talked about my love of Stonefire products before (I’m not being paid to say this – I genuinely L-O-V-E everything I’ve tried from them!). The naan crisps are so much fun. I’ve talked about them before, and I was really excited that one of my favorite flavors was paired with this silky smooth dip.
This recipe starts by simply blanching some tomatillos – popping them into boiling water for 5 minutes and then shocking them in an ice bath.
The tomatillos are then blended with a mix of fresh herbs and spices with a bit of serrano pepper for some kick.
I only used one serrano, and it was beautifully spiced. Feel free to go for it and add 2 if you really like the heat!
An avocado is whizzed in at the end to make it extra creamy and delicious. I really can’t emphasize enough just how creamy it made this dish. YUM!
I was surprised at how quickly this recipe came together. The dip was really simple, but each ingredient added something really important to the recipe. Chef Marcel doesn’t mess around!
This was such a fresh, vibrant way to start our meal. I loved the pairing with the sweetness of the Tandoori Spiced Naan Crisps.
It really is such an elegant appetizer – it would be perfect for any Indian or Latin themed dinner party! This recipe is guaranteed to impress with super bright, bold flavors. I hope you’ll try it out in your own kitchen!
Want to win your own stash Stonefire goodies? My friends at Stonefire have agreed to offer up 5 free product coupons for my readers, so I’m giving away a set of 3 and a set of 2! To enter to win, leave a comment below telling me your favorite type of dip. The contest will close on Friday, September 18, 2015 at 12 noon (Eastern Standard Time). Two winners will be chosen via random.org and will be contacted via email to get mailing information. Prize will be shipped by the sponsor. U.S. residents only. Good luck, everyone!
UPDATE – The winners have been selected via random.org – CONGRATS to Christine P & Kirsten!Print
Tomatillos, fresh herbs and avocado are blended together in this silky-smooth, spicy dip.
- 1 package Original or Tandoori Spice Naan Crisps
- 8 oz (3-4) tomatillos, husked
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 2 serrano (use one if you like it less hot)
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup cilantro, pre washed and loosely packed
- 1/2 cup parsley, pre washed and loosely packed
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Blanch tomatillos in boiling water for 5 minutes then shock in an ice bath. Remove tomatillos from ice bath once cooled. In a blender or food processor, combine the tomatillos, garlic, serrano, cilantro, parsley, lime juice, cumin, extra virgin olive oil, salt, and 1/2 cup of water and process to a coarse purée. Add avocado and pulse until nearly smooth. Pour into a bowl and enjoy with Original or Tandori Spice Naan Crisps.