Comfort food at its best – simple, succulent chicken with crispy skin and a delicious mix of roasted vegetables.
Happy Valentine’s Day! How are you celebrating?
If you’re looking for something simple yet impressive, this roast chicken is a wonderful way to go!
My husband absolutely adores chicken. And roast chicken is so simple to make. And you can mix and match any veggies that you like.
The chicken sits on top of them and all the juices drip down and mingles with the sweetness from the caramelizing veggies… YUM!
I thought it would be fun to add a tangy vinaigrette to the vegetables before they went into the roasting pan, instead of just tossing them with oil, salt and pepper this time around. I added Dijon, and it went absolutely beautifully with them!
A few sprigs of thyme scattered on top added a bit of freshness that was really nice.
One of my favorite parts of this meal was the way that the garlic cloves caramelized in the oven. They get so deliciously tender and sweet.
Make sure that you keep the size of your veggies consistent when making this dish so that they all cook at the same rate. You’ll be rewarded with a delicious meal that looks like it took waaaaay more effort than it really did!
Roast Chicken with Dijon Root Vegetables
Comfort food at its best - simple, succulent chicken with crispy skin and a delicious mix of roasted vegetables.
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
6 tablespoons olive oil
1 head garlic, cloves peeled and smashed
5 medium red potatoes (about 1 pound), diced into 1 1/2-inch to 2-inch pieces
2 medium sweet potatoes, diced into 1 1/2-inch to 2-inch pieces
1 white onion, diced into 1 1/2-inch to 2-inch pieces
1 turnip, diced into 1 1/2-inch to 2-inch pieces
1 pound parsnips, diced into 1 1/2-inch to 2-inch pieces
10 sprigs fresh thyme
1 whole (5-6 pound) chicken
Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Make Vinaigrette: In a large bowl, place Dijon mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Whisk to combine, and slowly stream in oil, whisking continuously until emulsified.
- Add all of the vegetables to the bowl and toss with the vinaigrette. Pour into the bottom of a large roasting pan. Scatter thyme sprigs over top.
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Generously salt and pepper the entire chicken - both outside and in the cavity. Truss the chicken and place on top of the vegetables in the roasting pan.
- Place the pan into the preheated oven and let the chicken and vegetables roast for about an hour, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F and the juices run clear. Remove the chicken to a cutting board and let rest at least 10 minutes.
- Carve chicken and serve on top of roasted veggies, seasoning with a little more salt and pepper if needed. Enjoy!
© Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen - Ashley Covelli