Skip the canned cranberry sauce – this boozy side dish can be prepared several days in advance and is the perfect accompaniment to any holiday meal!
This post may contain affiliate links.
I’ve been making a stovetop version of this Bourbon Cranberry Sauce for several years now, and this year I decided to add even more flavor to it.
Citrus zest packs so much flavor, and since orange and cranberry work so well together (see these Cranberry Orange Trifles with Candied Walnuts for proof!), I knew it would be a natural fit.
I used some juice from my orange after zesting it, and it really added a nice flavor.
You know, in addition to all.that.bourbon.
Which does not get cooked out of the sauce, mind you. It gets stirred in at the end.
This sauce was a huge hit this year! I doubled the amount I’m posting here for our small Thanksgiving dinner because I knew we’d be wanting plenty of leftovers. It holds up really well for an entire week in the fridge – if it lasts that long!
My husband used to love the can-o-cranberry sauce, but this stuff is a total (tipsy) game-changer.
Looking for more Thanksgiving favorites? Check out these 5-star recipes:
- Triple-Chocolate Pumpkin Pie
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Mini Turkey Pot Pies with Puff Pastry
- Italian Cream Cheese and Ricotta Cheesecake
- Zoodle Frittata
- No Mayo Deviled Eggs
- Best Ever Green Bean Casserole
- Classic Green Bean Casserole
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs
This boozy side dish can be prepared several days in advance and is the perfect accompaniment to any holiday meal!
- 1 pound (about 4 cups) cranberries
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- In a medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, place cranberries, sugar, orange zest, orange juice and cinnamon. Stir. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer, stirring every 10 minutes, until it reaches your desired consistency (about 35-35 minutes).
- Take pan off heat and stir in bourbon. Refrigerate until well chilled.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 149
- Sugar: 35.1 g
- Sodium: 1.1 mg
- Fat: 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 38.2 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 0.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: cranberry sauce, bourbon, cranberries, orage