I picked up some beautifully colored grape tomatoes from the store last week and was inspired to roast them and serve them over pasta.
This was a super simple weeknight meal, and the results were absolutely delicious!
The flavor of the tomatoes is concentrated in the oven, and the balsamic adds a really nice depth of flavor.
Adding some fresh basil on top at the end really enhances the cooked basil flavor, and if you're not vegan, some shaved parmesan cheese is a wonderful addition.
Dino added red pepper flakes to his bowl, too, and absolutely loved it. It's always nice when my Italian husband is impressed with an Italian dish that I make up. Woohoo!
This will definitely be a go-to for busy weeknights, now. Yum!Print
I picked up some beautifully colored grape tomatoes from the store last week and was inspired to roast them and serve them over pasta. This was a super simple weeknight meal, and the results were absolutely delicious!
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups multicolored grape or cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus a little more for the pasta
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped, plus a little more for garnish
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 pound angel hair pasta*, cooked according to package instructions
- Parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Red pepper flakes, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a baking dish, toss together garlic, tomatoes, oil, balsamic, basil, salt and pepper. Roast in preheated oven for 20 minutes, stir, and roast for another 20 minutes, or until most of the tomatoes have burst open. While tomatoes are roasting, cook pasta according to package instructions, and drain. Toss in a little olive oil to keep the pasta from sticking to itself. Remove tomatoes from the oven and lightly press on any un-popped tomatoes with the back of your spoon, being careful not to squeeze too hard and burn yourself with molten tomato juice.
- To serve, put pasta in each of 4 dishes and top with roasted tomatoes, making sure to drizzle on the delicious pan juices as well. Garnish with more fresh basil, parmesan shavings, and red pepper flakes, if desired. Enjoy!
Original Recipe by Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen - Ashley Covelli
*Optional: use Gluten Free
Big Flavors Rating: 5 Stars
- Serving Size: 4