Molasses Sandwich Cookies
This post may contain affiliate links, which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Dino’s coworkers have been begging me to make these cookies ever since I sent some to work with him last summer. Finally, I told him to tell them that if they wanted me to make them again, they’d have to get me a cookie scoop. No sooner had I said that than one was ordered, and a few days later, I got it with a look that said, “you realize I have to bring in cookies tomorrow now, right?”. So I made them again, but this time it went faster, and the cookies spread out properly, and were all pretty much the same size. Thanks, guys! (Note: it says 30 cookies, but that’s really about 15 since they’re sandwich cookies)
Molasses Sandwich Cookies
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 15 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
For the Cookies:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup light unsulfured molasses
For the Creamy Molasses Filling:
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons light unsulfured molasses
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.
In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat sugar and butter until combined. Beat in egg, then molasses, until smooth. On low speed, gradually add flour mixture until a dough forms.
Drop rounded measuring teaspoonfuls of dough onto two ungreased (or parchment-lined) baking sheets.
Bake until centers are dry to the touch, 12 to 15 minutes; rotate pans from top to bottom and front to back halfway through. Cool 1 minute on baking sheets; then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- For the filling, whisk 12 tablespoons softened unsalted butter with 3 tablespoons light unsulfured molasses until smooth. Gradually whisk in 2 cups powdered sugar until smooth and spreadable.
To assemble, spread a rounded measuring teaspoonful of filling on the flat side of a cookie; place another cookie on top, and gently press. Repeat until all cookies are filled.
Forming Cookies: Use a round, not oval, measuring teaspoon for scooping dough. Before scooping, dip spoon in water to make sure dough doesn’t stick.
Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature up to l day, or refrigerate up to 3 days (cookies may soften during refrigeration).
Makes 30 individual (15 sandwich) cookies with about 1 1/2 cups of filling.
Keywords: holiday cookie, molasses cookie, sandwich cookie