Growing up, I never ate seafood. My mom didn’t like it, so she never made it. I thought I didn’t like it until I started to try new things once I moved east. Canned tuna is something that I’m still not crazy about, but for some reason, I was craving tuna noodle casserole. I’ve never had it before…I just wanted to try it. So I found this recipe – one that didn’t call for a can of soup, and made this for dinner. It was really tasty! I used whole wheat breadcrumbs on top and threw a little parsley on for a bit of freshness on top. It was a big hit!
Tuna Noodle Casserole from Scratch
“No canned soup mix in this recipe! Mushrooms, onions, celery, and peas all go into this comfort casserole.”
Prep Time: 30 Min
Cook Time: 45 Min
Ready In: 1 Hr 15 Min
1/2 cup butter, divided
1 (8 ounce) package uncooked medium egg noodles
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste
2 (6 ounce) cans tuna, drained and flaked
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
3 tablespoons bread crumbs
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Butter a medium baking dish with 1 tablespoon butter.
2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add egg noodles, cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente, and drain.
3. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Stir in the onion, celery, and garlic, and cook 5 minutes, until tender. Increase heat to medium-high, and mix in mushrooms. Continue to cook and stir 5 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
4. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan, and whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk, and continue cooking 5 minutes, until sauce is smooth and slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in tuna, peas, mushroom mixture, and cooked noodles. Transfer to the baking dish. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a small bowl, mix with bread crumbs, and sprinkle over the casserole. Top with cheese.
5. Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until bubbly and lightly browned.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 562 | Total Fat: 31.3g | Cholesterol: 125mg
MacGourmet Rating: 4 Stars