This post is brought to you courtesy of Hillshire Farm® but all the opinions and content are mine. Thanks for supporting the brands that keep me inspired in my tiny kitchen!
Smoked paprika, orange zest and Manzanilla olives add Spanish flair to this flavorful skillet meal.
Cast iron has been my BFF lately. I love using it for everything from fajitas to frittatas. But on a busy weeknight, I love using it to create entire meals in a single skillet.
Inspired by my 4-year-old’s love for Paella and our recent Jambalaya-making adventure, I set out to create a simple yet flavorful meal without dirtying a ton of dishes. I mean, why cook the rice in a separate saucepan when you can do it right in the skillet?
For this recipe I used Polska Kielbasa from Hillshire Farm®, which has a blend of pork, turkey and beef for a deep, smoky flavor. I found it at Target in the refrigerated lunch meat aisle.
Target currently has a 20% off offer for these tasty smoked sausages, so you can save on the cost of this delicious dinner, too!
I had a bit of chicken left in the fridge from a recipe I made a few days ago, and I knew it would go really well with the smoky flavors in this dish.
Once you have your ingredients prepped, this dish comes together fairly quickly, which is perfect for a busy weeknight.
And since the rice cooks right in the skillet, it soaks up all of the flavors of the veggies and tomato paste – way better than cooking it in plain ol’ water!
My husband isn’t typically a big fan of olives, but he absolutely adored this dish.
The combination of meats and spices really makes this meal taste like it took all day to cook, but it only needs 35 minutes once it hits the stovetop.
I really enjoyed eating slices of orange alongside this dish – it was a nice, bright accompaniment that really rounded out the meal.
- 1/2 pound chicken breast, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 7 ounces Hillshire Farm® Polska Kielbasa Sausage, sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1/3 cup shallot, diced small
- 1/3 cup celery, diced small
- 1/3 cup carrot, diced small
- 1/3 cup green bell pepper, diced small
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 cup rice
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 orange, zested, then cut into wedges
- 1/3 cup pimiento-stuffed Spanish Manzanilla olives, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- In a bowl, toss chicken and sausage with oregano and paprika. Set aside.
- Heat peanut oil in a large skillet, preferably cast iron, over moderate heat. Add shallot, celery, carrot and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Add rice and stir well to coat. Gradually add in chicken stock, stirring constantly. Add bay leaf, lower the heat to medium and bring to a simmer. Let cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is almost fully absorbed and the rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the seasoned chicken and sausage to the skillet along with orange zest and olives and stir well to combine. Let cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is fully cooked, about 10 minutes. (Note: you may need to scrape the bottom of the pan with your spoon occasionally to make sure the rice doesn’t stick. If it’s sticking too much, lower the heat a bit and continue cooking).
- Take skillet off the heat, carefully remove bay leaf and sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Serve, garnishing with orange wedges if desired.
Original Recipe by Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen – Ashley Covelli
Big Flavors Rating: 5 Stars
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Hillshire Farm®. The opinions and text are all mine.