We needed another quick and easy meal, and this eggplant and chickpea dish was just that.
The eggplant got nice and buttery, and the lemon added brightness at the end. I ended up adding some salt and pepper as well, which helped enhance the flavors.
I meant to add some crumbled goat cheese at the end (one of the suggested variations in the cookbook) but I totally forgot.
This dish was great leftover the next day over some steamed basmati rice. It would also make a nice side dish if you had something else you'd like to serve alongside as a main course.
1. Heat a generous amount of olive oil in a large frying pan.
2. Cook aubergine chunks over a medium-high heat, covered. Stir every few minutes until aubergine is super soft and a little golden.
4. Remove from heat and add 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
5. Taste and season, using extra lemon juice if you think it needs it.
6. Scatter over coriander leaves.
Big Flavors Rating: 4 Stars