This month’s Supper Club theme was Soup & Sandwich night. Each couple made a soup and a sandwich. It was awesome! We wanted to try to recreate a sandwich from a local tapas restaurant. It’s like a grilled cheese made with fried eggplant, manchego cheese, and drizzled with honey and truffle oil. Ours turned out pretty close!
- Olive oil, for coating the pan
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs*
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Manchego cheese
- White truffle honey (or regular honey and white truffle oil)
- Peel eggplant and slice lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices. This is easiest with a mandoline. Pat slices dry with paper towels. Set up 3 plates side by side. In the first, add a generous amount of flour and season with salt and pepper. In the second, add 2 eggs and a splash of water, and beat well with a fork. In the third, add a generous amount of breadcrumbs and season with dried Italian seasoning.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet (preferably cast iron). Dredge each slice of eggplant in the flour, shaking off excess. Coat with the eggs, letting excess drip off, and then coat with breadcrumb mixture, pressing to make sure it adheres well. Pat off excess, and fry until golden brown on both sides. Place fried eggplant slices onto a cookie sheet lined with a metal rack. We found it helpful to pat the slices with paper towels when they came out of the pan to soak up some of the excess oil. Repeat frying eggplant slices, being careful not to crowd the pan.
- Once all of the eggplant is fried, make sandwiches out of them by placing a few slices of manchego cheese on a piece of eggplant, and topping it with another piece of eggplant. Broil on low until the cheese is nice and melted, and the eggplant is crispy. When the sandwiches come out of the oven, quickly drizzle with truffle honey. Enjoy!
*Optional: use Gluten Free
Can substitute seasoning for 1 3/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
Inspired by Peniche restaurant (now closed) in White Plains, NY
Keywords: truffle, manchego, grilled cheese