The fluffiest pancakes you've ever had are less than 30 minutes away! These light, airy buttermilk pancakes are hands-down one of our favorite breakfast recipes.
So while I drink
an entire pot a few cups of coffee and our son plays Minecraft, he cooks up a storm.
These pancakes (a.k.a. flapjacks, a.k.a. griddle cakes) are the culmination of yeeeeears of testing multiple pancake recipes and variations.
We've tweaked this from our favorite parts of several different recipes and come up with the best, go-to, standard buttermilk pancake recipe.
If you're looking for a fun spin on traditional pancakes, these colorful birthday cake pancakes with sprinkles are another awesome option.
One key part of this recipe is that the batter needs time to take a quick rest. This allows it to get light and airy, which results in magnificently fluffy pancakes.
If you don't have buttermilk on hand, you can use regular milk and stir in 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to it. Let the mixture sit for 5-10 minutes at room temperature, and proceed with the recipe as directed.
It's super helpful for those times when you reeeeeally want buttermilk pancakes but don't have any buttermilk on hand.
We like to use a scoop for consistently-sized pancakes. You can also use a ladle or measuring cup if you don't have a scoop that size in your kitchen.
We find that a #16 scoop, which measures about ¼ cup of batter, works out beautifully here.
We've been using our Griddler for pancakes for over a decade now, but if you don't have a griddle at home, a non-stick skillet will work just fine.
Also note that there's a specific time when you should be flipping your pancakes. You'll see the surface of each pancake fill with bubbles while cooking. Wait for those bubbles to start to pop, and that's the indication that you should flip 'em.
Once you get the hang of it, it's super easy to have a comforting, delicious breakfast on the table in under 30 minutes.
There are countless variations to these delicious pancakes. You can dress 'em up or dress 'em down, and rest assured, they'll always be a hit!
This time around, we made some "TNT" pancakes for our son's stuffed Creeper from Minecraft by sprinkling it with chia seeds and green sprinkles. He loved it!
What are your favorite pancake toppings? I'd love to hear about them in the comments section below!Print
The fluffiest pancakes you ever had are less than 30 minutes away! These light, airy buttermilk pancakes are hands-down one of our favorite breakfast recipes.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (or ½ cup all-purpose flour, ½ cup whole wheat flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon table (granulated) salt
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup milk
- Peanut or grapeseed oil, for greasing the griddle
- Butter and pure maple syrup, for serving
- In a medium bowl, melt the butter and set aside to cool. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg (if using). Once butter is cool, add egg and sugar and whisk to combine. Add buttermilk and milk and whisk again to combine.
- Pour the milk mixture into flour mixture, and gently stir just until combined. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- While the batter is sitting, preheat a griddle to medium-high. Once hot, lightly coat the griddle with oil. Drop the batter onto the prepared griddle (we use a #16 scoop, which is around ¼ cup per scoop), leaving space between each pancake.
- Cook until pancakes are covered with bubbles and the bubbles start to pop. Use a spatula to flip, and cook the other side until golden brown, about 2 minutes more.
- Serve pancakes piping hot with butter and pure maple syrup.
– Mocha Chip Pancakes: Follow the link to this original recipe!
– Sunflour & Oates Pancakes: Sprinkle on a handful of Sunflower Seeds and Instant Oates to each pancake as soon as the batter hits the griddle
– Bacon Pancakes: Add ¼ Cup Cooked Bacon to the Batter
– Blueberry Pancakes: Add ½ Cup Fresh Blueberries to the Batter
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 154
- Sugar: 3.3 g
- Sodium: 460.1 mg
- Fat: 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 20.8 g
- Fiber: 0.7 g
- Protein: 4.9 g
- Cholesterol: 45 mg
Keywords: buttermilk, buttermilk pancakes, whole wheat flour