The fluffiest pancakes you ever had are less than 30 minutes away! These light, airy buttermilk pancakes are hands-down one of our favorite breakfast recipes.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (or 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup whole wheat flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon table (granulated) salt
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup milk
- Peanut or grapeseed oil, for greasing the griddle
- Butter and pure maple syrup, for serving
- In a medium bowl, melt the butter and set aside to cool. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg (if using). Once butter is cool, add egg and sugar and whisk to combine. Add buttermilk and milk and whisk again to combine.
- Pour the milk mixture into flour mixture, and gently stir just until combined. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- While the batter is sitting, preheat a griddle to medium-high. Once hot, lightly coat the griddle with oil. Drop the batter onto the prepared griddle (we use a #16 scoop, which is around 1/4 cup per scoop), leaving space between each pancake.
- Cook until pancakes are covered with bubbles and the bubbles start to pop. Use a spatula to flip, and cook the other side until golden brown, about 2 minutes more.
- Serve pancakes piping hot with butter and pure maple syrup.
– Mocha Chip Pancakes: Follow the link to this original recipe!
– Chocolate Chocolate Chip Pancakes: Add 1 Tbsp Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder, 1/2 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips to the Batter
– Sunflour & Oates Pancakes: Sprinkle on a handful of Sunflower Seeds and Instant Oates to each pancake as soon as the batter hits the griddle
– Bacon Pancakes: Add 1/4 Cup Cooked Bacon to the Batter
– Blueberry Pancakes: Add 1/2 Cup Fresh Blueberries to the Batter
Recipe by Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen – Ashley Covelli
Big Flavors Rating: 5 Stars