Bring the fun of an antipasto spread to picnic season with this colorful spin on an Italian favorite + a giveaway from prAna!
I love warm weather. It’s the perfect time of year to get together with friends and family for outdoor picnics, potlucks and BBQs. It’s also time to wear easy, breezy dresses 24/7. And nothing says “big outdoor party” like a big batch of pasta salad!
I like to use a mix of pasta shapes whenever I make pasta salad. It makes it more fun, and is a great way to use up partial boxes of various pasta that are hanging out in the pantry.
If the pastas have different cooking times, I do a little math and add them to the boiling water accordingly (so if one takes 9 minutes to reach al dente and the others take 8, put the one with the longer cooking time in first, wait 1 minute and add the others for the final 8).
Another thing that’s awesome about this particular pasta salad is that the creaminess in the vinaigrette comes from Stonyfield Whole Milk Greek Yogurt.
This stuff is insanely creamy and delicious, and a few tablespoons go a long way to elevate this dressing. I always have the 0% fat plain Greek yogurt on hand, but the whole milk variety is becoming a household favorite as well!
This recipe makes a big batch which was perfect for the Memorial Day potluck/BBQ party we went to last week.
Even though it’s not quite summer yet, the forecast said it was going to be HOT, so I knew I wanted something lightweight and comfortable to wear both while cooking and hanging out at the party. This Quinn Dress from prAna was totally perfect for the occasion.
I absolutely loved the color I picked out (Electro Blue), and it comes in so many more, both in solids and patterns. It has a really comfortable double strap racerback design and built in shelf bra for extra support. The fabric is incredibly soft and breathable, which is so key on hot summer days.
I can see this dress becoming a staple of my summer wardrobe. I love that it’s casual enough to wear while I’m out running errands with my son, but also dressy enough to go out for the evening. I can also feel good about how it’s sustainably made and built to last!
And this pasta salad will also be going into my summer repertoire. It’s simple yet fancy, and sure to be the hit of the party. Plus, I always feel good when I’m adding Stonyfield yogurt into the mix. Talk about versatility!
Bring the fun of an antipasto spread to picnic season with this colorful spin on an Italian favorite!
For the Salad:
- 1 pound dried pasta (I used a mix of medium shells, cavatappi and racchette)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup sliced pitted olives
- 7 ounces salami, diced
- 8 fresh mozzarella, diced
- 1/2 cup fire roasted peppers, diced
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons whole milk plain Greek yogurt (I used Stonyfield)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Cook the pasta: Fill a large pot with salted water and bring to a boil. Cook pasta according to package instructions for al dente (mine took 8-9 minutes). Drain well and place in a large bowl. Mix 1/4 cup of olive oil into the pasta cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally to ensure it doesn’t stick together, while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Make the vinaigrette: In a medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients except oil. Once combined, slowly drizzle in the oil, whisking as you go, until the dressing emulsifies and comes together. Refrigerate until ready to serve. (Makes about 1 cup dressing)
- Add tomatoes, olives, salami, mozzarella and roasted peppers to the pasta. Pour the vinaigrette over top and stir well to combine. Refrigerate for at least an hour. Garnish with Parmesan and serve.
Keywords: antipasto, pasta salad, side dish, Italian appetizer
Want to win your own Quinn Dress from prAna? To enter to win, leave a comment below telling me your favorite summer potluck dish. The contest will close on Monday, June 13, 2016 at 12 noon (Eastern Standard Time). One winner will be chosen via random.org and will be contacted via email to get mailing information. Prize will be shipped by the sponsor. U.S. residents only, and no P.O. boxes. Good luck, everyone!
UPDATE – The winner has been selected via random.org – CONGRATS to Linsley!
DISCOUNT FOR BIG FLAVORS READERS: Get 15% off your order on prAna.com using discount code SCS16ASCO at checkout. Valid through July 7, 2016. Cannot be combined w gift certificates or other offers.