I didn't know what we were going to have for breakfast this morning, but I knew I wanted to make another batch of this deliciously crispy oven-baked bacon. It's so easy, and it can cook in the oven while you prepare any other breakfast components. You know, unless you want to just eat bacon for breakfast. And drink coffee. I could totally get behind that. Maybe dip the bacon in some maple syrup for good measure? You know... if you're into that kind of thing ;).
Crispy Oven-Baked Bacon
About.com – Danilo Alfaro
3. Come back 17 to 20 minutes later. As soon as the bacon is golden brown, but not excessively crisp, it’s done. The exact time will depend on the thickness of the bacon slices, and also on how quickly your oven reaches the target temperature.
4. Remove the pan from the oven. Transfer the bacon to another sheet pan lined with paper towels to absorb the fat. You can pour the liquid fat into a heat-resistant container to save for other uses. I like to pour it through a strainer lined with cheesecloth to filter out any crunchy bits.
1. Don’t pre-heat the oven! Make sure the oven is cold when you put the bacon in.
2. Keep your eye on the bacon during the final few minutes of cooking to make sure that it doesn’t burn. Also, remove the cooked bacon from the hot pan right away. The heat from the pan and the hot bacon fat will continue cooking the bacon.
3. You can slightly undercook the bacon, then cool it and freeze it in a zipper bag. Then, to reheat, cook two slices in the microwave on medium power for 30 seconds or so.
Variation: Dredge bacon in flour or corn meal before baking.
Variation: Sprinkle bacon with brown sugar or freshly ground black pepper before baking.
Big Flavors Rating: 5 Stars