This Smashed Chickpea & Avocado Salad Sandwich is a fresh, hearty, healthy vegan lunch option that’s guaranteed to please meat-eaters and vegetarians alike! It’s a rich and creamy sandwich filling that you can feel good about eating!
This post may contain affiliate links.
I saw this sandwich over on Pinterest, and just knew it was something I wanted to try. I love interesting sandwich combinations, and slap an avocado on almost anything and I’m game!
So I made a batch of this goodness this afternoon, and we really enjoyed it! I did not bother peeling the skin off of the chickpeas…that just sounds like torture. I don’t think the texture was adversely affected at all.
I put a bed of baby arugula on the bread, topped with this salad, and lunch was ready!
The avocado makes it nice and creamy, the chickpeas give it some substance, and the tangy lime really brightens up the entire dish. This was a nice and easy weekend lunch that I’ll definitely make again.
I’m already dreaming up ways to change up the filling to give it some flair – it’s going to be a fun recipe to play around with!
Looking for more sandwich ideas? Check out some of our favorite recipes:
- TABLET Sandwich (Tuna Avocado Bacon Lettuce Egg Tomato)
- Grilled PB&J Sticks
- Italian Sausage and Peppers
- Our Favorite Sloppy Joe Sandwiches
- Turkey Salad Tea Sandwiches with Dried Cherries
- French-Inspired Egg Salad Sandwiches
- Garlicky Tomato, Ri(goat)ta Cheese, Thyme, Honey + Aged Balsamic Toast
- Persian Malbec Lamb Burgers with Mast-o-Khiar and Pomegranate Tomato Jam
- Challah Nutella Banana Panini
- Halal Chicken on a Pita AKA Rafakey 2.0
- Falafel with Yogurt-Herb Sauce
A fresh, hearty, healthy vegan lunch option that’s guaranteed to please meat-eaters and vegetarians alike! It’s a rich and creamy sandwich filling that you can feel good about eating!
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Sandwich bread (use your favorite)
- Salad greens (I like baby arugula, but other greens or sprouts would work, too)
Recipe slightly adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 348
- Sugar: 3.5 g
- Sodium: 875.3 mg
- Fat: 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 50.8 g
- Fiber: 11.4 g
- Protein: 13 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan sandwich, chickpea salad, avocado
Note: This post includes affiliate links for items that I genuinely enjoy. Big Flavors will receive a tiny commission from purchases made through affiliate links on this site at no added cost to you. This allows us to cover site-related expenses and helps to keep us cooking up a storm!