Wrapping up Vietnamese fresh spring rolls in rice paper is easier than you think! This easily customizable recipe is cool & refreshing - perfect for summer.
For Peanut Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
For Spring Rolls:
- 1 ounce rice vermicelli or bean thread noodles
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 8 (8-inch) rice-paper rounds
- 8 extra large shrimp (pre-cooked, peeled, and deveined), sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 red-leaf lettuce leaves, ribs cut out and discarded and leaves halved
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh Thai basil leaves
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced Napa cabbage
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup coarsely shredded carrot (1 medium)
- 1-2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Finely chopped peanuts, for garnish (optional)
- Make sauce: Heat peanut oil in a small saucepan over moderate heat. Once hot, add onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until pale golden, about 4 minutes. Whisk in water, peanut butter, hoisin, tomato paste, and sugar and bring to a simmer. Whisk for 1 minute, then transfer to a small bowl to cool.
- Prepare noodles: Cook noodles according to package instructions. Rinse with cold water, drain well, and toss with seasoned rice vinegar.
- Assemble spring rolls: Fill a large plate with warm water. Dip one rice paper wrapper into the water, completely submerging . Leave in for 5-10 seconds, until pliable. Lay wrapper flat on a clean work surface. Lay 2 shrimp halves, pink side-down, horizontally across the lower third of the wrapper.
- Top with a sprinkling of lettuce, mint, Thai basil, cabbage, cilantro, carrot, and green onions. Add a small handful of the noodles on top, again in a horizontal line. Carefully fold the sides inward, then tuck and fold the bottom up over the filling. Roll everything upward, tightly but gently to avoid ripping the rice paper wrapper. Place on a platter and repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Serve spring rolls with peanut sauce alongside, garnished with chopped peanuts if desired.
If you're looking for an additional sauce for your spring rolls, simply combine 1/4 cup water, 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, 4 teaspoons fish sauce, 1 clove minced garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon chili garlic sauce in a small bowl.
You can substitute regular basil for Thai basil if you can't find it.
Spring rolls can be stored in an airtight container, covered with a damp towel, in the refrigerator for 2 days.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 169
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 251.1 mg
- Fat: 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.8 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 9.3 g
- Cholesterol: 53.7 mg
Keywords: Vietnamese, spring roll, summer roll