Try a meat-free spin on Taco Tuesday with this deliciously addictive sweet-and-spicy flavor combination.
- 14 ounce package firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons oilve oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 15.5 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (1 ounce) package Old El Paso Original Taco Seasoning Mix
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups jicama, peeled and diced small
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small serrano pepper, seeded and minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups ripe mango, peeled and diced small (1–2 mangoes)
- Zest of 1 lime (about 1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Old El Paso Soft Tortilla Taco Boats
- Plain Greek yogurt or sour cream (optional)
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Prepare tofu: Drain tofu and blot dry with paper towels. Cut tofu crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices. Place a double layer of paper towels on a cutting board and lay the tofu slices in a single layer on top of it. Top with another double layer of paper towels and lay another cutting board or baking sheet on top. Grab a few cans or other heavy items from your pantry and place them on top to weigh down the tofu. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Make salsa: While the tofu is being pressed, Mix all of the salsa ingredients in a large bowl. Let sit so the flavors combine while you cook the taco filling.
- Prepare taco filling: Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over moderate heat. Remove paper towels from tofu and cut each piece into 1/2-inch cubes. Place tofu in the hot oil and season with salt and pepper. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until the tofu is golden brown on all sides.
- Add drained black beans and taco seasoning to the tofu and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, another 3-4 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced to a sauce on the beans and tofu. Remove from heat.
- To serve: Place a few scoops of the tofu mixture in each taco boat and top with salsa. Garnish with a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream and lime wedges, if desired. Enjoy!
Original Recipe by Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen – Ashley Covelli