Chase away the winter blues with this hearty, veggie-packed grain bowl. Top it with a runny egg for the ultimate comfort food upgrade!
- 1 acorn squash, halved, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups Village Harvest Farro
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup capers, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 4 radishes, sliced
- 4 eggs (your preference – soft boiled, hard boiled, or fried)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Place squash on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Place Brussels sprouts on another large, rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle 2 tablespoons oil over each tray of veggies and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat, then spread the veggies into a single layer. Place both baking sheets into the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Flip the squash and return to oven for an additional 5 minutes. The veggies should be browned on the edges and fork tender.
- While the veggies are roasting, heat a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add farro to the hot, dry skillet and toast, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes. Pour the toasted farro into the boiling water and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain well.
- While the farro is cooking, whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients (capers through black pepper). Take 1/3 cup of the vinaigrette out to serve alongside grain bowls. Place the drained farro into the bowl of vinaigrette while it’s still warm and toss well to combine. Taste the mixture and season with additional salt and pepper if necessary. (I found that another round of seasoning here really made a difference!)
- To serve, divide the farro between 4 large bowls. Divide the roasted squash, Brussels sprouts, and radishes between the bowls. If you’re serving these with soft boiled eggs, halve each egg and place it on top of the bowl. If using hard boiled, slice or chop the eggs to go on top. Serve with additional vinaigrette alongside.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 827
- Sugar: 2.8 g
- Sodium: 749.6 mg
- Fat: 47.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 83.3 g
- Fiber: 12.7 g
- Protein: 23.4 g
- Cholesterol: 186 mg
Keywords: farro, soft boiled eggs, acorn squash, grain bowls, one bowl meal