Classic, aromatic Italian comfort food.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 bell peppers, cut 1/2-inch slices
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, minced
- 2 pounds Italian sausage (we like a mix of sweet and spicy)
- 2 cups dry red wine
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onions and peppers and sauté until the onions are brown. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in garlic and basil. Add oregano. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Prick sausage all over with a fork. Sauté in skillet over medium heat until brown. Add enough wine to cover about 2/3 of the sausage. Add Sautéed vegetables back into the skillet.
- Simmer gently, partially covered, for 20 minutes. Remove sausage and slice into 1-inch pieces. Can be served on pasta or with bread.