Espresso and chocolate definitely belong on your breakfast plate. These mocha chip pancakes are a fun way to start any day!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Dutch process cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups reduced fat milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso granules
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used Stonyfield Organic Fat-Free)
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Melt butter in a small bowl. Stir in raw sugar and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Heat 1/2 cup of the milk in the microwave until warm (about 45 seconds - 1 minute). Stir in instant espresso granules until dissolved. Add the remaining 3/4 cup of cold milk to cool down the mixture. Add yogurt and egg and whisk until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and whisk until just barely combined - some lumps are perfectly fine, you just don't want to see streaks of powder here. Add in chocolate chips and stir gently to incorporate. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Preheat griddle to 375°F. Grease griddle with cooking spray. Use an ice cream scoop or small ladle to drop equal portions of batter onto the hot griddle. Cook until pancakes are covered with bubbles that begin to pop, and the edges are darkening slightly. Flip and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
Keywords: chocolate recipe, espresso, breakfast recipes