Mediterranean Farro Salad is packed with fresh herbs and veggies, tossed with a bright citrus vinaigrette and paired with simply spiced beef patties.
1 cup farro
For Meat Patties:
- 1 pound ground beef (I used 85% lean)
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon Kiawe smoked sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seed oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon, cut the rest into wedges)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 English cucumber, chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Alaea salt
- Salad greens
- Plain yogurt
- Fresh sprouts (I used radish sprouts)
- Place farro in a medium saucepan and cover with water by 2 inches. Bring to boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, then rinse with cold water and drain well.
- For the meat patties: While farro is cooking, preheat broiler to high. Spray a broiler-safe baking sheet with oil or non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, add beef, marjoram, oregano, onion, paprika, garlic, Kiawe smoked sea salt, pepper, and egg. Gently mix together using your hands, being careful not to overwork. Divide the meat into 8 equal portions and form into patties. Transfer to prepared baking sheet and broil for 8 minutes, flip, then broil for an additional 5-8 minutes, or until cooked to your desired degree of doneness.
- For the salad: In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin seed oil, lemon juice, mint, and parsley. Add cucumbers, tomatoes, cooled farro, and Red Alea salt and toss to combine. Taste for seasoning and add more salt if needed.
- To serve: On each plate, place a pile of salad greens topped with 2-3 beef patties, and drizzle with yogurt. Pile some farro salad on the plate next to the meat, and top with sprouts. Garnish with lemon wedges and enjoy!
If there's a lot of fat coming out of your patties, drain it off the baking sheet before flipping. This will help the outsides to get a better crust on them while they finish cooking.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 346
- Sugar: 1.8 g
- Sodium: 533.3 mg
- Fat: 26 g
- Saturated Fat: 9.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.8 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 23 g
- Cholesterol: 126.7 mg
Keywords: farro salad, smoked salt, pumpkin seed oil