An electric pressure cooker makes this family favorite comfort food meal possible in a fraction of the time!
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2-3 lb. chuck roast
- 1 cup water
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 vidalia onions, cut into wedges
- 1 (16-ounce) bag baby carrots
- 1 (24-ounce) bag baby potatoes, halved or quartered
- For Gravy:
- 2-3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Place oil in the Instant Pot insert and set to "Sauté" and "Normal".
- On a large plate, mix together flour, salt and pepper. Pat the roast dry with paper towels, then press it into the flour mixture to coat all sides, tapping off any excess flour.
- When the screen on the Instant Pot says "Hot", add meat and sear on both sides, about 2-3 minutes per side, turning carefully with tongs (I needed to use 2 pairs of tongs to turn mine easily in the pot).
- Once meat is seared, add water, thyme, rosemary and garlic. Close the lid and press "Meat/Stew", and set it to high pressure for 55 minutes. Once finished, manually release the pressure by carefully pushing the steam valve to "Venting".
- Once the pressure is released, open the lid, add the onions, carrots and potatoes. Close the lid and return the steam valve to "Sealing". Hit "Manual" and set it to high pressure for 10 minutes. Once the timer goes off, you can again manually release the pressure, or allow it to naturally release.
- If the meat hasn't gotten tender enough (it doesn't shred easily with a large fork or tongs), leave it in the Instant Pot and cook it on high pressure for another 10 minutes.
- When you're ready to make the gravy, remove the vegetables and meat to a large platter. Let the meat rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing or shredding it.
- Once all of the solids are removed from the Instant Pot, set it to "Sauté again" to make the gravy. Once the drippings start to bubble, sprinkle flour on top and whisk to combine. Continue to simmer, whisking occasionally, until it thickens to your desired consistency. Season well with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 467
- Sugar: 6.5 g
- Sodium: 377.2 mg
- Fat: 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 52.4 g
- Fiber: 8.1 g
- Protein: 35.6 g
- Cholesterol: 89.4 mg
Keywords: Instant Pot, pot roast, classic recipe, meat and potatoes