Beautifully tender, fall-off-the-bone lamb shanks are possible in a fraction of the time thanks to an electric pressure cooker! This Instant Pot Braised Lamb Shanks with Tomato recipe takes just a few ingredients and minimal effort. Serve it over mashed potatoes or polenta for a perfect comfort food dinner.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 lamb shanks (around 1 pound each)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 4–6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Set Instant Pot to Sauté and adjust to “More” and add oil.
- Pat lamb shanks dry and season with salt and pepper. Once the Instant Pot is hot, add lamb and cook until browned all over, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from pot and place on a plate. (You’ll likely need to do 2 at a time, adding more oil in between if needed, so you don’t crowd the pot).
- Add garlic to pan and sauté, stirring, until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add wine and cook 2 minutes, being sure to scrape the bottom of the pot to loosen browned bits. Stir in tomatoes, basil and oregano; cook 2 minutes.
- Return lamb to pot, spoon a little sauce over top, place the lid on and seal. Cook high pressure for 45 minutes. Allow the pressure to naturally release for 15 min before manually releasing the remaining pressure.
- Serve lamb over polenta or mashed potatoes, sprinkling fresh parsley over top if desired.
Keywords: Instant Pot, Instant Pot lamb shanks, lamb