Bacon and molasses take this sweet-and-salty side dish to the next level!
- 8 ounces dried navy beans, sorted to remove any foreign objects
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 4 slices (about 4 ounces) thick-sliced bacon (I used Applegate Uncured Sunday Bacon), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Cover dried beans with water by 2-3 inches. Add salt. Cover and soak 6 hours. Drain.
- Set Instant Pot to “Sauté” and adjust to “Normal”. Add oil and bacon and cook, stirring occasionally until it starts to get crispy. Add garlic and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions start to soften.
- Add soaked beans and remaining ingredients (water through white pepper). Close Instant Pot and set to “Bean/Chili” on high pressure, and adjust to 50 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes before carefully opening the lid. Test the beans to make sure they’re tender enough, and if not, close the lid and let the cook for another 10 minutes on high pressure.
- To thicken the sauce, set the Instant Pot to “Sauté”, adjust to “More” and let the liquid reduce and thicken to desired consistency, stirring occasionally and scraping the bottom, about 5-10 minutes.