Broccoli rabe (also known as rapini) is a bitter green vegetable that is easily transformed into a family favorite Italian side dish with a few ingredients.
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, ends trimmed, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6-8 cloves garlic, sliced into 1/4-inch thick pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add broccoli rabe to the boiling water and let cook until slightly softened, about 2-3 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté until the garlic starts to get some caramel-brown bits, about 5-10 minutes. Add the broccoli rabe, season with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and continue to sauté, stirring occasionally, for an additional 20-30 minutes.
Make sure to place the oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes in the skillet before you turn the heat on so that it gently warms the oil and garlic together as the skillet heats up.
Keywords: broccoli rabe, bitter greens, Italian