For Yogurt-Herb Sauce:
- 6 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 4 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Pinch of salt
- 1–15 ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), washed and drained
- 1/4 cup loosely chopped parsley
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons red onion
- 1/4 cup flour* (set aside 2 tablespoons on plate for coating finished falafel balls)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil
- Pita or flatbread*
- Sliced tomato
- Thinly sliced red onion
- To make Yogurt-Herb Sauce, mix ingredients in a small bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Begin heating vegetable oil on high heat in a deep sauce pan (oil should come about 1 inch up the side of the pan).
- Place remaining ingredients (minus 2 tablespoons of flour) into a food processor or blender. Process until fairly even consistency is reached, leaving some larger chickpea chunks, if desired.
- Form golf ball sized balls of batter, and flatten slightly. Coat lightly in remaining flour.
- Add falafel discs to oil when hot and fry about 4 minutes, until golden on all sides. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain off excess oil.
- Serve falafel warm, wrapped in pita or other flat bread. Top with Yogurt-Herb Sauce, tomato, tahini, red onion and Sriracha, if desired.
Recipe from Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen – Ashley Covelli (Adapted from Just Braise)
*Optional: use Gluten Free