A rich, flavorful marinade makes these fajitas on a stick the perfect excuse to fire up the grill! Add a paleo side for a low carb summer meal!
For the Fajita Skewers:
- 1 3/4 to 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into equal sized cubes
- 1 (8-ounce) packet Simply Organic Classic Fajita Simmer Sauce, divided
- 3 yellow onions, cut into wedges
- 3–4 bell peppers, cut into equal sized chunks
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
For the Cauliflower Rice:
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons butter (I used butter flavored coconut oil)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1–2 limes, cut in half if grilling, or into wedges if leaving raw
- For the Fajita Skewers: Place cubed in a medium bowl. Pour in 2/3 of the simmer sauce, reserving the remaining sauce for serving. Cover the bowl of chicken and place in the refrigerator to marinate for 2-6 hours.
- If using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for 20-30 minutes, then drain off water. Preheat grill to medium-high. Thread chicken onto skewers, discarding any marinade that remains in the bowl. Thread bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes on separate skewers. At this point you can also remove the reserved Simmer Sauce from the refrigerator so it warms up to room temperature for serving.
- Oil grill grates, place skewers on the grill. Cover and let cook, covered, until charred and cooked through to your liking, turning once to ensure even cooking. The chicken should take about 6 to 8 minutes, the peppers and onions will take longer, and the tomatoes will cook pretty quickly, so don’t walk away for too long!
- If desired, you can also place lime halves, cut-side down, on the grill for a few moments until they get charred.
- For the Cauliflower Rice: Chop cauliflower into florets and grate in a food processor using the shredding disc (or use a box grater), working in batches and transferring to a bowl if needed.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cumin seed and sauté until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Add cauliflower, season with salt and pepper. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until cooked through to your preferred doneness, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to stir and scrape the bottom of the pan. Taste for seasoning and add more salt if needed. Remove from heat, stir in cilantro.
- Serve skewers on cauliflower rice with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream and limes (grilled or raw) alongside. Feel free to brush the reserved Simmer Sauce over your chicken skewers, or use it as a dip as well!
Original Recipe by Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen – Ashley Covelli
Big Flavors Rating: 5 Stars