Farm fresh veggies and herbs are blended with 2 types of beans to form this delicious, meat-free spin on meatballs. Perfect for Meatless Monday!
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 cups (packed) roughly chopped chard leaves (I used a Fordhook variety)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 15.5-ounce can white beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1 green onion, roughly chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, torn
- 3 large cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained well
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup panko, divided
- Cooking spray
- Cooked pasta and your favorite marinara sauce, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat peanut oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chard and salt and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add white beans, chard, green onion, parsley, basil, garlic and red pepper flakes. Process until everything is well chopped, then pour into a large bowl. In the same food processor bowl, pulse the chickpeas until they're chopped but still have some larger chunks. Add to the bowl with the white bean mixture. Add the Parmesan and 1/2 cup of the panko. Mix ingredients well. Pour remaining panko onto a plate.
- Spray a large, rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Form the bean mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls, and roll each in the panko, gently pressing so it sticks to the outside. I used a #50 scoop and got about 28 polpette. Arrange polpette on the prepared baking sheet, making sure to leave room around each. Bake for 15 minutes, flip, and continue baking until golden brown, about 10 to 15 minutes longer.
- Serve over cooked pasta with your favorite marinara sauce and additional grated Parmesan cheese on top. Delicious with garlic bread!
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 339
- Sugar: 2.8 g
- Sodium: 819.7 mg
- Fat: 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 49 g
- Fiber: 10.5 g
- Protein: 16.1 g
- Cholesterol: 3.6 mg
Keywords: meatless monday, pasta dish, white beans, chard