This installment of Big Flavors from a Mystery Basket features a vibrant, Asian-inspired dish that was a big hit at the dinner table!
- 10 ounces large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 small lemon, quartered
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 cup split red lentils
- 1 tablespoon liquid from canned green beans
- 1 tablespoon Mirin
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons tablespoons canned green beans
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon liquid from canned of green beans
- 10 sheets rice paper
- 1 English cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 4–6 mini bell peppers, seeded and cut into matchsticks
- 4 radishes, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- Make shrimp: Place bay leaf, lemon, peppercorns and smashed garlic in a large stock pot and fill with water. Bring the water to a boil, and let it boil for 5 minutes, uncovered. Add shrimp to the water and cook until pink and slightly firm, about 3 minutes. Plunge the shrimp into ice water to stop the cooking. Drain shrimp and chill until ready to assemble.
- Cook lentils: Place lentils in a large saucepan along with 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Add more water as needed to keep lentils covered with water while cooking.
- While lentils are cooking, make vinaigrette. In a large bowl, whisk together green bean liquid, Mirin, lemon zest and juice, tamari, sesame oil and fish sauce.
- Once the lentils are done cooking, drain well and place them in the bowl with the vinaigrette. Toss well to coat and chill until ready to assemble.
- Make sauce: Place green beans, hoisin and green bean liquid in a the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth.
- Assemble rolls: Fill a large, round shallow dish or plate with water. Submerge 1 sheet of rice paper and let it soak for about 20-30 seconds, until pliable. Remove rice paper from water and place on work surface.
- On the lower third of the wrapper, leaving an inch or two around the outer edges, lay out 3 shrimp in a horizontal line. Add some of the cucumber, bell peppers, radishes and avocado, and top with around 2 tablespoons of the seasoned lentils.
- Fold the lower piece of the rice paper up over your filling, then fold in the 2 sides and roll tightly like a burrito. There’s a good tutorial here. Place on a platter, seam-side down and repeat with remaining ingredients. Make sure that the finished summer rolls don’t touch each other on the platter, or they’ll stick together.
- Serve summer rolls with Hoisin-Bean sauce alongside for dipping.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 320
- Sugar: 5.4 g
- Sodium: 470.5 mg
- Fat: 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 31.9 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 19 g
- Cholesterol: 76.2 mg
Keywords: rice wrappers, spring rolls, shrimp, red lentils