For the Cookies:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup light unsulfured molasses
For the Creamy Molasses Filling:
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons light unsulfured molasses
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.
In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat sugar and butter until combined. Beat in egg, then molasses, until smooth. On low speed, gradually add flour mixture until a dough forms.
Drop rounded measuring teaspoonfuls of dough onto two ungreased (or parchment-lined) baking sheets.
Bake until centers are dry to the touch, 12 to 15 minutes; rotate pans from top to bottom and front to back halfway through. Cool 1 minute on baking sheets; then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- For the filling, whisk 12 tablespoons softened unsalted butter with 3 tablespoons light unsulfured molasses until smooth. Gradually whisk in 2 cups powdered sugar until smooth and spreadable.
To assemble, spread a rounded measuring teaspoonful of filling on the flat side of a cookie; place another cookie on top, and gently press. Repeat until all cookies are filled.
Forming Cookies: Use a round, not oval, measuring teaspoon for scooping dough. Before scooping, dip spoon in water to make sure dough doesn’t stick.
Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature up to l day, or refrigerate up to 3 days (cookies may soften during refrigeration).
Makes 30 individual (15 sandwich) cookies with about 1 1/2 cups of filling.
Keywords: holiday cookie, molasses cookie, sandwich cookie