Looking for a fun alternative use for seltzer? Just add flour and salt to turn it into a beautifully light and fluffy tempura batter!
For the Tempura:
- Peanut or grapeseed oil, for deep frying
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for finishing
- 1 (12 ounce) can cold seltzer (I used Vintage® Original)
- 8 ounces French green beans, rinsed and dried well, trimmed
For the Sriracha Aioli Dipping Sauce:
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
For the Soy Ginger Dipping Sauce:
- Heat 2-3 inches of oil in a large, deep pot (preferably cast iron) to 375°F.
- Once the oil is up to temperature, place flour and salt in a medium bowl. Pour in cold seltzer and whisk until just combined (mixture will be lumpy).
- Working in batches of 10, place beans in the batter and toss to coat. One by one, pull each bean out, letting the excess batter drip off, and place gently into the hot oil, being careful not to splash. Repeat until you have 10 coated beans in the hot oil.
- Fry, using tongs to flip occasionally, until golden brown on all sides, about 2-3 minutes. You may need to use the tongs to separate the beans from each other if they are touching and stick together.
- Remove beans to a paper towel-lined tray that has been topped with a metal cooling rack. Immediately sprinkle with a little kosher salt and repeat the entire process, 10 beans at a time, until you have used up all of the beans.
- For the Sriracha Aioli Dipping Sauce: In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, sriracha and cilantro.
- For the Soy Ginger Dipping Sauce: In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, ginger, honey, rice vinegar and sesame oil. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Serving Size: 4-6
- Calories: 366
- Sugar: 4.1 g
- Sodium: 948.4 mg
- Fat: 18.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 43.5 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 7.4 g
- Cholesterol: 8.7 mg
Keywords: fried green beans, green bean fries, crunchy green beans, game day food