Satisfy your sushi cravings at home without all the fuss of wrapping and rolling with this simple spicy salmon poke bowl recipe.
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek (chili garlic sauce)
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 12 ounces sushi grade salmon, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
For Sushi Rice:
- 2 cups sushi rice, rinsed well
- 2-4 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
For Spicy Mayonnaise:
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1/2 cup microgreens
- Furikake, to taste
- Marinate Salmon: In a medium bowl, whisk together tamarin, honey, rice vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, and green onions. Add cubed salmon and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Make Sushi Rice: Meanwhile, cook sushi rice according to package directions, making sure to rinse it well beforehand. Once cooked, transfer to a wide, shallow bowl. Sprinkle on 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar and use a rice paddle or spatula to lift and turn the rice, fanning it as you go, to incorporate the vinegar evenly and cool the rice. Add another tablespoon and continue fanning and turning the rice. Taste for seasoning to decide if you want to add more vinegar still, and continue turning and fanning the rice until totally cool. Cover with a damp towel or plastic rice until ready to use.
- Make Spicy Mayo: Mix together mayonnaise and sriracha in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Assemble Poke Bowls: Place 1/2 cup of sushi rice on the bottom of each of 4 bowls (you may have rice leftover). Top each with 1/4 each of the marinated salmon, carrot, cucumber, avocado and microgreens. Sprinkle with furikake to taste, then drizzle with spicy mayonnaise.
Keywords: poke bowl, spicy salmon, sushi rice