Because what’s better than classic Italian comfort food in pizza form?
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage (casings removed)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 ready made-pizza crusts (I used a 14.1 ounce pack of Stonefire Artisan Flatbreads)
- 14 ounce jar fire roasted pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F with a pizza stone on the bottom rack if you have one (you want the pizza stone to heat up with the oven).
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high heat. Add sausage to pan, breaking into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon while it cooks. Once the sausage is brown all over, add garlic, onions, bell peppers, oregano and wine and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the peppers and onions start to soften and caramelize a bit around the edges, about 15 minutes.
- Place one pizza crust on top of a pizza peel or wooden cutting board. Spread half of the pizza sauce on top of the crust, leaving a 1-inch border around the outer edges. Sprinkle half of the Parmesan cheese over top.
- Transfer pizza to the preheated pizza stone (or a baking sheet, if you’re using that instead) and bake for 5-6 minutes (8-9 minutes without the pizza stone). Repeat with remaining pizza crust. Enjoy!
Original Recipe by Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen – Ashley Covelli