- 1 (14.5-ounce) can Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic, and Oregano, drained
- 1 (26-ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onions, like Vidalia
- 8 ounces button or baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen chopped spinach, slightly thawed
- 1 (16-ounce) container smooth and creamy cottage cheese
- 1 (8-ounce) package shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) package no-cook flat (not curly edged) lasagna noodles
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, mix together diced tomatoes, marinara sauce, and tomato paste. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions, mushrooms, and garlic and sauté, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes. Add spinach and sauté, stirring frequently, until the liquid has cooked off, about 3 minutes more. Remove from heat and place spinach mixture in a large bowl. Add cottage cheese, shredded mozzarella, egg, salt, and pepper, and stir to mix thoroughly.
- Spread 1 cup tomato mixture on the bottom of a slow cooker. Top with a complete covering of lasagna noodles. (Break noodles to fit all spaces, overlapping if necessary.) Spread 3/4 cup of sauce over noodles. Top with 1/2 of the spinach mixture, spreading it evenly with the back of a spoon. Place another layer of lasagna noodles over spinach mixture. Spread 3/4 cup of sauce atop noodles, then spread remaining spinach mixture over sauce. Add a final layer of noodles and top with remaining tomato sauce. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over sauce.
- Cook on low for 5 hours, until the noodles are tender and lasagna holds together when tested with a knife.
- Tip: When assembling this incredibly easy lasagna, remember this little refrain: Sauce, noodles, sauce, spinach, noodles, sauce, spinach, noodles, sauce. Leftover lasagna freezes well. Thaw and reheat in the microwave before serving.
Recipe from Quick, Cheap Comfort Food: 100+ Fresh Recipes for Meals in a Hurry – Victoria Shearer
- Serving Size: 8-10