Old fashioned comfort food at its best! Sloppy Joes are an easy weeknight meal that’s always a hit. Try switching the ground beef for turkey or bison next!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 pounds ground meat (we like beef, turkey, or bison)
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 stalk celery, diced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried mustard
- Hamburger buns, brioche rolls, or your favorite bread
- Dill pickle chips (optional)
- Shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Melt butter in a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until it begins to soften, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add ground meat and continue cooking, breaking up the large pieces with a wooden spoon occasionally, until browned, draining any excess fat that accumulates in the pan.
- Add remaining ingredients (ketchup through dried mustard) and reduce heat to low. Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve Sloppy Joe mixture piled atop your favorite bread and top with cheese and pickles, if desired.
Nutrition information is for sloppy joes only, not buns.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 250
- Sugar: 9.9 g
- Sodium: 717.9 mg
- Fat: 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.6 g
- Fiber: 0.4 g
- Protein: 33.4 g
- Cholesterol: 95.5 mg
Keywords: sloppy joe, easy meal, dinner for two, ground beef, freezer meal