This simple, classic Italian comfort food recipe makes a perfect weeknight meal and is easily scaled up to feed a crowd. Inspired by my Calabrese father-in-law!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 Italian sausages (hot, sweet, or a mix of both)
- 1 large white onion, sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup white wine
- Crusty bread, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausages and sear until browned on both sides.
- Add onion and bell peppers. Drizzle with remaining tablespoon of oil and season with oregano, salt and pepper. Pour wine over top and give it a stir. Transfer to preheated oven and cook, uncovered, for about 45 minutes, or until onions and peppers have cooked down and softened a bit.
- Serve sausage and peppers in crusty bread and prepare to meet your new favorite sandwich!
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 725
- Sugar: 4.3 g
- Sodium: 1398.5 mg
- Fat: 63.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 20.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.5 g
- Fiber: 2.3 g
- Protein: 25.4 g
- Cholesterol: 128.8 mg
Keywords: Italian sausage, sausage and peppers