Crusty bread is slathered with Parmesan and herb roasted garlic butter then stuffed with Gruyère cheese.
For roasted garlic:
- 1 (16-ounce) loaf bread (I used a rustic Italian, sourdough would also work well)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 green onions, minced
- 1 tablespoon flatleaf parsley, minced
- 1/2 cup Gruyère, grated (I used a Kaltbach cave-aged variety)
- Roast garlic: Preheat oven to 400°F. Peel off most of the papery exterior of the garlic head, and slice the top 1/4 inch or so off. Set the garlic on a piece of aluminum foil, drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with a bit of kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Bake until caramelized, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce the temperature to 350°F.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves into a small bowl and mash with a fork. Add butter, Parmesan, green onions and parsley and mix until well combined.
- Using a serrated bread knife, slice the bread into a 1-inch wide diamond pattern, making sure not to cut all the way through the bottom of the loaf. Set the bread onto a piece of aluminum foil large enough to enclose the entire loaf.
- Brush the garlic-herb butter all over the top of the bread and deep into all of the nooks and crannies. Don’t be afraid to get messy and use your hands to slather the butter all over. Next, grab a pinch of Gruyère and shove it into one of the cracks in the loaf. Continue, pressing the cheese into all of the open areas of the bread.
- Wrap the entire loaf in the foil, set it on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Carefully open up the foil (I ended up cutting the excess from around the top and leaving a layer of foil underneath the bread) and let the loaf bake an additional 5 minutes to allow the top to get nice and brown.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 642
- Sugar: 6.9 g
- Sodium: 776.2 mg
- Fat: 37 g
- Saturated Fat: 19.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 60.2 g
- Fiber: 3.5 g
- Protein: 17.8 g
- Cholesterol: 82.5 mg
Keywords: roasted garlic, garlic bread, garlic pull apart breat