Sparkling wine helps keep these orange-scented muffins beautifully tender. Cheers to brunch time!
For the muffins:
- 2 1/2 cups of all-pupose flour
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 4 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- zest of two large oranges – 1 teaspoon reserved for glaze
- 1 cup of champagne (sparkling wine)
- 1 stick of melted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
For the glaze:
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons of freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon of orange zest
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line cupcake pan, or spray with non stick cooking spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add zest from two oranges and whisk into dry ingredients. Don’t forget to reserve a teaspoon of zest for the glaze. In a separate smaller bowl, combine melted butter, champagne, eggs and vanilla and stir together. Then add wet mixture to dry ingredients and stir, just until combined.
- Divide batter evenly among the cupcake pan, and bake for about 18 minutes, or until light golden brown.
- Remove muffins from oven, and prepare glaze while they begin to cool. Spoon glaze over muffins while they are still warm, not hot. If the muffins are very hot, the glaze will run off too quickly.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 268
- Sugar: 18.5 g
- Sodium: 68.4 mg
- Fat: 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 40.8 g
- Fiber: 0.9 g
- Protein: 3.9 g
- Cholesterol: 51.2 mg
Keywords: mimosa muffins, brunch, orange muffins, orange glaze