My Italian father-in-law makes the BEST stuffed mushrooms! This is his recipe for the best bite-sized appetizer – perfect for holiday entertaining!
- 16 ounces button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 green onion, finely chopped, green and white portions separated
- 1–2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, plus more as needed
- 4–5 grape tomatoes, seeded and diced small
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Lightly spray or drizzle a baking sheet with oil.
- Wipe mushroom caps clean and carefully remove stems. Finely dice a few of the stems until you have 2 tablespoons of diced stems and reserve the rest for another use (see recipe notes).
- Arrange mushrooms on the prepared baking sheet, cavity-side up. Lightly spray or drizzle each cap with oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine chopped mushroom stems, parsley, the white part of the green onion, garlic, bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons Parmesan, salt, and pepper. Drizzle in the olive oil, stirring the mixture as you go, until the mixture holds together like wet sand.
- Stuff each mushroom cap with the mixture, pressing it down into the cavity, making sure that the filling is flush with the top edge of the mushroom (not heaped up – this will give the filling room to grow). Grate a little more Parmesan cheese over each cap, then press a few pieces of tomato and the remaining green onions down into each mushroom. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and sprinkle a little salt over the tops.
- Bake mushrooms in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
Save remaining mushroom stems for making stock or stir-fry.
If the mushroom caps you use are on the larger side, you’ll need to bake them for longer to get them cooked all the way through and nice and golden brown.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 40
- Sugar: 0.5 g
- Sodium: 36.7 mg
- Fat: 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 2.6 g
- Fiber: 0.3 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 0.2 mg
Keywords: appetizer, stuffed mushroom, Italian