My Italian father-in-law makes the BEST stuffed mushrooms! This is his recipe for the best bite-sized appetizer – perfect for holiday entertaining!
- 16 ounces button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 green onion, finely chopped, green and white portions separated
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, plus more as needed
- 4-5 grape tomatoes, seeded and diced small
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Lightly spray or drizzle a baking sheet with oil.
- Wipe mushroom caps clean and carefully remove stems. Finely dice a few of the stems until you have 2 tablespoons of diced stems and reserve the rest for another use (see recipe notes).
- Arrange mushrooms on the prepared baking sheet, cavity-side up. Lightly spray or drizzle each cap with oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine chopped mushroom stems, parsley, the white part of the green onion, garlic, bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons Parmesan, salt, and pepper. Drizzle in the olive oil, stirring the mixture as you go, until the mixture holds together like wet sand.
- Stuff each mushroom cap with the mixture, pressing it down into the cavity, making sure that the filling is flush with the top edge of the mushroom (not heaped up – this will give the filling room to grow). Grate a little more Parmesan cheese over each cap, then press a few pieces of tomato and the remaining green onions down into each mushroom. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and sprinkle a little salt over the tops.
- Bake mushrooms in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
Save remaining mushroom stems for making stock or stir-fry.
If the mushroom caps you use are on the larger side, you’ll need to bake them for longer to get them cooked all the way through and nice and golden brown.
Keywords: appetizer, stuffed mushroom, Italian