This (optionally) boozy cranberry sauce can be made several days in advance and is the perfect addition to any holiday meal! Stovetop variation included.
- 24 ounces whole cranberries (2 12-ounce bags)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 1 whole star anise
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 wide strips fresh orange zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup bourbon (optional)
- Place cranberries, sugar, cinnamon stick, star anise, cloves, orange zest, and orange juice in the insert of your Instant Pot. Set to sauté on high, and heat until it comes to a boil, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Close lid and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes, then let the pressure release naturally.
- Once pressure is released, transfer cranberry sauce to a bowl and stir in bourbon, if using. Let stand until cool to the touch, then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Be sure to remove the whole spices from your cranberry sauce before serving. You could also use a bit of cheesecloth or a tea ball to contain the spices and make them easier to take out after cooking.
Cranberry sauce keeps well for several days in the refrigerator (if it lasts that long!) and is a great candidate for make-ahead cooking.
If you don’t like bourbon, an orange liqueur such as Grand Marnier would be a great choice. This is also delicious without any alcohol – I usually divide it in half and put 2 tablespoons of bourbon in one portion of the sauce, then mark the container so nobody gets an accidental dose of straight bourbon!
If you’re making this on the stovetop, bring the ingredients to a boil, stirring occasionally, then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and stir every 10 minutes until it reaches your desired consistency – about 30-35 minutes total.
Keywords: Thanksgiving, bourbon, cranberry sauce