A hearty Persian Beef and Celery Stew recipe (Khoreshe Karafs) is quick & easy to make in the Instant Pot! This budget-friendly stew uses just 1 pound of meat.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups diced celery (about 6-8 stalks)
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 2 cups water
- 2-3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
For Serving (optional, but encouraged):
- Cooked basmati rice
- Ground sumac
- Mast-o-khiar or plain yogurt
- Set Instant Pot to “Sauté” and adjust to “more”. Add butter. Once melted, add beef and onions and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the meat is browned, about 5 minutes. Add cinnamon, salt, pepper, and nutmeg and cook for another minute or two, stirring constantly, until well combined and fragrant. Stir in celery and parsley, then add water.
- Close the lid, adjust the vent to “sealing” and set the Instant Pot to “Manual” high pressure for 20 minutes. Once the timer goes off, let the pressure release naturally.
- Open the lid, and stir in 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and lemon juice as needed.
- Serve stew on top of basmati rice (I made one with dried dill stirred in) with as much of the liquid as you like spooned over top. Garnish with a sprinkling of ground sumac, a few spoonfuls of mast-o-khiar, and a sprinkling of parsley if desired.
Total time doesn't account for the time it takes for the Instant Pot to reach pressure, and to release naturally at the end. It will likely take another 20-30 minutes total, but it's hands-off time.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 284
- Sugar: 3.3 g
- Sodium: 499 mg
- Fat: 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 9.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Fiber: 3.2 g
- Protein: 26.6 g
- Cholesterol: 105.3 mg
Keywords: Instant Pot recipes, beef stew, Persian stew, budget-friendly