This easy beef goulash recipe has been in my family for at least 6 generations now. I finally sat down with my stepmom to measure out the ingredients and convert it into an Instant Pot recipe. Perfect served over mashed potatoes for an easy weeknight comfort food dinner.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds beef stew meat or rump roast, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 teaspoons Mrs. Dash Original Blend (or other salt-free seasoning)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 cups water
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Serve with mashed potatoes (preferably these Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes!)
- Set Instant Pot to “Sauté” and adjust to “more”. Once the pot is hot, add oil. Place meat in the pot and top with Mrs. Dash, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is brown all over.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, mustard, ketchup, and water. Close the lid, adjust the vent to “sealing” and set the Instant Pot to “Manual” high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, manually release the pressure (quick release) before opening the lid. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary. If you have time, you can set the pot back to “Sauté” for a few minutes with the lid off to let it bubble away to thickening the sauce a bit. Make sure to stir occasionally, scraping the bottom of the pot so nothing burns.
- Serve goulash over mashed potatoes, sprinkling with chopped parsley, if desired.
If your meat isn’t tender after cooking, you can close the lid and cook it on high pressure for an additional 3-5 minutes.
I like to measure the ketchup first, then measure the water in the same measuring cup so that the water rinses any extra ketchup back into the goulash.
This dish tastes even better the next day after it sits in the refrigerator. I haven’t tried freezing it for later but I’d guess that it would work well!
Keywords: goulash, Instant Pot, Instant Pot goulash, America goulash