Get a double dose of both almond and lemon in this bright, refreshing baked treat.
For the cake
- 10 tablespoons (1¼ sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus soft butter for greasing the pan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup almond meal
- Zest of 2 large lemons
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure almond extract
- 1 cup plain whole-milk or low-fat yogurt (not Greek)
For the icing
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon plain whole-milk or low-fat yogurt (not Greek)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Prep. Preheat the oven to 350°F, with a rack in the center position. Generously butter a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan.
- Mix the batter. Into a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk in the almond meal and lemon zest. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, cream the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Reduce the speed to low and add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down the sides as needed. Beat in the almond extract. Slowly beat in half the dry ingredients, then the yogurt, then the remaining dry ingredients until incorporated. Raise the speed to medium and beat for 1 to 2 minutes to develop some structure.
- Bake the cake. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake until risen and lightly browned and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Cool in the pan on a rack for 15 minutes. Slide a knife around the perimeter and invert the cake onto the rack. Cool completely, then flip right side up.
- Ice the cake. Sift the confectioners’ sugar into a medium bowl. Whisk in the yogurt and then the lemon juice, 1 teaspoon at a time, until the icing is smooth, thick, and drips slowly from the whisk. Wave the whisk over the cake to drizzle lines of icing, or scrape the icing over the cake and smooth with an offset spatula.
- Store. Once the icing firms, cover the cake with plastic wrap. It can be kept at room temperature for up to 48 hours, or covered with a layer of foil and refrigerated for up to 5 days.
Recipe from Yogurt Culture by Cheryl Sternman Rule
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 414
- Sugar: 30.6 g
- Sodium: 205.1 mg
- Fat: 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 9.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 54.3 g
- Fiber: 1.6 g
- Protein: 8.8 g
- Cholesterol: 79.6 mg
Keywords: lemon loaf, lemon pound cake, Greek yogurt