Boost your immune system with a colorful bowl of this hearty, veggie-packed soup. Can be made with chicken or vegetable soup base.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (about 1 1/4 cup)
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chicken stock concentrate
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, chopped
- 1 cup French green lentils
- Small piece Parmesan rind (about 2 inches square, optional)
- 2 cups baby spinach, lightly packed
Heat oil in a large stockpot over moderate heat. Add onion, garlic, carrots, celery, and bell pepper and stir. Season with salt and pepper and stir until the veggies start to soften.
Add sweet potatoes, bay leaf, thyme, soup base, and water, and bring to a boil.
Add lentils and Parmesan rind and reduce heat. Simmer until sweet potatoes are fork-tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in spinach and continue to simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
Remove bay leaf, thyme sprigs, and Parmesan rind. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
Serve warm, preferably with some nice, crusty bread for soaking up all of the goodness.
*Can substitute other flavors of stock concentrate such as beef or vegetable.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 415
- Sugar: 6.4 g
- Sodium: 375.1 mg
- Fat: 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 83.8 g
- Fiber: 25.8 g
- Protein: 17.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0.7 mg
Keywords: vegetable soup, lentil soup