This easy homemade deep-dish Dutch apple pie recipe has been the star of my family’s holiday gatherings for generations. Truly a classic, favorite dessert.
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked deep dish pie shell
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place pie shell onto a baking sheet and set aside.
- Peel and core apples and slice into even pieces, about 1/4-inch thick. Place apples into pie shell and pour 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon on top. Toss gently to combine.
- For topping, in a medium bowl, mix together flour, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, and 1/4 cup brown sugar. Cut in butter with a fork or pastry blender until crumbly. Pour over the apple mixture and spread around to cover evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 mins, then reduce the heat to 350 and bake until the topping is golden brown, about 30-35 minutes more.
I like to use a mix of different types of apples, but if you were to go with just one type, choose tart apples like Granny Smith.
Serve pie warm, preferably topped with vanilla ice cream.
Keywords: apple pie, baking, a la mode