Fragrant curry powder adds a warm spice to this silky smooth pumpkin soup recipe that is easy enough for a weeknight and elegant enough for entertaining!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup yellow or red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 (29-ounce) can pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Chili oil, for garnish (optional)
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onion and cook until tender, about 4-5 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in flour and curry powder and let cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually pour in chicken stock, continuing to stir until combined. Allow soup to simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened, about 5-7 minutes longer.
- Stir in pumpkin, honey, salt, nutmeg, and black pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in evaporated milk and cook, stirring constantly, until heated through. Taste for seasoning and add more salt if needed.
- Use an immersion blender to purée soup, if desired, before ladling into bowls. Serve soup topped with dollops of sour cream, a sprinkle of cilantro, additional fresh cracked black pepper, and a drizzle of chili oil, if desired.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 220
- Sugar: 14 g
- Sodium: 436.4 mg
- Fat: 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 31.2 g
- Fiber: 4.7 g
- Protein: 10.2 g
- Cholesterol: 13.8 mg
Keywords: fall, comfort food, pumpkin soup