Garlicky shrimp, Gruyère and peas are tossed together and baked till bubbly in this comforting seafood dish.
- 8 ounces uncooked cavatelli or orecchiette pasta
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
- Cooking spray
- Parsley sprigs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain well.
- Combine the flour and salt in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly with a whisk; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until slightly thick, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese, stirring until melted.
- Heat butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in wine and pepper, and cook 1 minute or until shrimp is done.
- Add pasta, shrimp mixture, and peas to cheese mixture, tossing well to combine. Spoon the pasta mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish lightly coated with cooking spray; sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until cheese melts and begins to brown. Garnish with the parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.
Recipe from Cooking Light March 2004